[3dem] Postdoc and PhD positions in super-resolution correlative cryoLM and cryoEM

T.Sharp at lumc.nl T.Sharp at lumc.nl
Mon Jan 18 11:19:20 PST 2021

Hi all,

We have positions open for a PhD student and PostDoc to work on super-resolution light microscopy correlated with cryoEM (super-res cryoCLEM).

The projects: We've developed a method to perform super-res cryoCLEM on intact mammalian cells using fluorescent proteins (Tuijtel et al, Sci Rep 2019: https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-37728-8__;!!Mih3wA!SGO3du_MwJtTBPwIKWfgKOOjbwX1Th0xaekAPwGsYaOBWtQQdZ9rVGHT5r7jRfuTfg$ ). We’re now at the stage where we can use this technique to investigate cellular processes, with a focus on the human immune system. We are also developing the equipment and techniques further, to improve ease of use and explore novel methods for super-res cryoCLEM.

Profiles: The positions are flexible, and range from developing new microscopy techniques to applying super-res cryoCLEM to biological specimens.
Postdocs are expected to have a solid background in super-resolution LM or cryoEM.
For PhD applicants, a background in microscopy/physics/engineering would be highly advantageous, but not essential. Alternatively, you have experience with biology/immunology with an evident desire to explore the fundamentals of super-res cryoCLEM.

The lab: We are at the Leiden University Medical Centre (LUMC), in the Netherlands, which is a well-funded lab in a great place to live and work. We are a highly interdisciplinary group, ranging from bionanotechnology, structural biology, to immunology. We routinely collaborate with chemists, biologists, medics and microscopists.

If you are interested, please send me a CV and cover letter. I’m also very happy to receive informal questions about the position, project, or living in Leiden. There is currently no deadline but we will close the positions as soon as they are filled.

All the best,

Thom

Dr. Thomas H. Sharp
Assistant Professor
PI: Bio-Nanopatterning
• 0031-(0)-7152-69499
• t.sharp at lumc.nl<mailto:t.sharp at lumc.nl>
Website: https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://ccb.lumc.nl/about-the-sharp-lab-90__;!!Mih3wA!SGO3du_MwJtTBPwIKWfgKOOjbwX1Th0xaekAPwGsYaOBWtQQdZ9rVGHT5r5FQ6cc2A$
Visiting address: LUMC Bldg. 2, Room R-90-10, Einthovenweg 20, 2333 ZC Leiden