[3dem] [External] Re: plasma cleaner question

David Michael Belnap David.Belnap at utah.edu
Fri Feb 16 09:21:09 PST 2024

To backup Ilya’s message, I use a “homemade” glow discharger that is attached to an oil vacuum pump.  Many years ago, we saw spots all over our cryo-grids and wondered where the spots were from.  We suspected that oil vapor from the pump might be the problem.  When we moved the vacuum pump into a chemical hood and had a long enough hose to connect to the glow-discharge chamber on the bench, the spots on the grids disappeared.  The vacuum pump has remained in the hood ever since.

If anyone is interested in building their own “homemade” glow discharger, contact me.  I’d be happy to share my plans.

David