[3dem] Single GPU workstation

Kilian Schnelle kilian.schnelle at uni-osnabrueck.de
Mon Nov 21 03:54:29 PST 2022

I may would think about a Zen-4 CPU like the 7950X. I don’t know how much Relion still profits from AVX512 but sadly Intel decided to disable that on the 13900K, the new AMDs support it now. Also the AMD has 4 more PCIe lanes, which may come in handy if you want more NVMe SSDs or update later to a second GPU. Though it only has DDR5 support which will cost more.

Apart from that air cooling is just as good, if not sometimes better, then AIO, and you need a good airflow in the case for the GPU anyway if u don’t plan to upgrade that also to a water block. Would recommend the good old Noctua fans.

For the GPU you may even get 2 older generation ones for the price of one 4090, so not sure its worth it (someone has benchmarks already?), also be sure to seat the power cable correctly/ check after delivery, could get crispy else ;)

Cheers
Kilian

Kilian Schnelle
Department of Structural Biology