[3dem] Single GPU workstation

Kovtun, Oleksiy oleksiy.kovtun at mpinat.mpg.de
Thu Nov 17 04:25:18 PST 2022

Dear all,

I am configuring mid-performance systems for SPA and STA processing.
Systems are aimed at testing processing parameters and processing small to medium datasets in frugal box sizes. They will be installed in an office and serve as individual workstations.
Currently, I come down to the following:
i9-13900k AIO cooling, 128GB DDR4-3200, 4TB SSD scratch, 10GB LAN.
For the GPU, I consider 24GB cards:
RTX 3090 -  the basic choice.
RTX 3090ti - much extra heat for nothing, but surprisingly more available than 3090.
RTX4090 - will this perform better in RELION? Extra CUDA cores, but the same VRAM size and bandwidth as 3090. It may run cooler and quieter, though. Has anyone had a successful installation, and RELION runs on it?
RTX A5000 - a step price overhead for overheating insurance. It may be a necessary evil for an office-based PC.

Please let me know what option will be better and whether the core system configuration ( is BIG.Little of i9 a problem? ) looks adequate.

Thank you and best,

Oleksiy

Dr Oleksiy Kovtun
Max-Planck Research Group Leader
Molecular Mechanisms of Membrane Trafficking
Max-Planck-Institute for Multidisciplinary Sciences
City-Campus, Hermann-Rein-Str. 3, 37075 Göttingen
Germany
Email: oleksiy.kovtun at mpinat.mpg.de<mailto:oleksiy.kovtun at mpinat.mpg.de>
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.mpinat.mpg.de/kovtun__;!!Mih3wA!CbOW6OOOAtgDvIc-lEOacmcS-11n9OwbtCkwe7JJ8DsanPBfuO-w0il-Waib9M5gGazqgCuzcPBTBcJfLOjmsBUtSQxLZaK61Q$
Phone:+49-551-3899-410