[3dem] Single GPU workstation

Takanori Nakane tnakane.protein at osaka-u.ac.jp
Mon Nov 21 05:24:06 PST 2022

Hi,

 > how much Relion still profits from AVX512

AVX 512 is very beneficial for CPU-based motion correction.
The advantage mostly comes from Intel MKLFFT.

Unfortunately (but understandably), MKLFFT does not run very fast on AMD CPUs,
so I'm not sure if AVX 512 on AMD CPUs is actually useful for RELION's
motion correction.

Also note that Zen 4's SIMD units are only 256 bit wide. AVX 512 needs
two cycles. Thus, AVX 512 on Zen 4 does not improve throughput over
AVX 256.

Best regards,

Takanori Nakane