[3dem] Elsa 698 : best-practice bake-out procedure

Andrei Moiseenko postmoiseenko at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 12:48:21 PDT 2022

Hi Tim, we use Elsa 698 with the Gatan 1905 controller and 655 pumping
station. The bakeout temperature is kept at 100C, never exceeding it for
more than a few degrees. We usually perform overnight bakeout once a week,
but we pump out the holder dewar after each cryo-day. I think that it is ok
for the holder to perform bakeout more often in case of extensive sample
exchange. You definitely need to do the holder bakeout if:
1) The holder fails to reach the -170 C temperature within reasonable time.
In our case ~45-50 min inside the pumping station, but may be different for
your holder.
2) The holder cannot keep the cold temperature during operation
3) The frost or condensate forms on the holder dewar
4) The holder was not used for a couple of weeks.
In case the holder was not used for a longer time or in case the overnight
bakeout does not solve the temperature problem, the longer bakeout times
should be used, like 48h or 72h.

пн, 29 авг. 2022 г. в 15:52, Tim Gruene <tim.gruene at univie.ac.at>:

> Dear all,
>
> we recently received our Gatan Elsa 698 holder. I would like to gather
> some recommendations for daily use and bake-out procedure.
> - what temperature do you use for bake-out?
> - how long do you bake-out for?
> - are there special maintenance procedures?
> - what would be signs of deterioriation, abd after what period would
>   they occur?
>
> We use the holder both for room-temperature and for cryo-measurements.
>
> The manual refers to the Gatan pumping station, but ours was delivered
> with a Pfeiffer pumping station ;-)
>
> Thanks a lot for your time!
>
> Best,
> Tim
>
> --
> --
> Tim Gruene
> Head of the Centre for X-ray Structure Analysis
> Faculty of Chemistry
> University of Vienna
>
> Phone: +43-1-4277-70202
>
> GPG Key ID = A46BEE1A