[3dem] Membrane protein dissociating from nanodisc

AMARSHI MUKHERJEE amarshimukherjee at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 08:54:53 PDT 2021

Hi,

What is the lipid composition of the nanodiscs? If you are using a single
lipid (such as PC only) the chance of incorporation of protein is low
sometimes and may cause protein dissociation. if you use a mixture of
lipids (such as PC/PS or PC/PE/PS) it may stabilize the protein in
nanodiscs more than a single lipid nanodiscs.

On Fri, Oct 15, 2021 at 8:13 AM Dykstra, Holly <Holly.Dykstra at vai.org>
wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am working on a single-TM membrane protein in nanodisc. Upon freezing
> grids, I am observing protein dissociation from the nanodisc. A small
> percentage of the total particle population is intact protein-nanodisc
> complex but most of the particles have dissociated. I believe this is
> happening at the point of freezing as negative stain shows the intact
> protein-nanodisc complex. Has anyone else experienced this problem or does
> anyone have any suggestions or advice?
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Holly

Regards,

*Amarshi Mukherjee, M.Sc., Ph.D.*
Research Associate
Department of Neuroscience
Wisconsin Institute for Medical Research (WIMR)
1111 Highland Avenue, Madison, WI 53705
Mobile: 443-683-6757
Email: amukherjee29 at wisc.edu, amarshimukherjee at gmail.com