[3dem] [ccpem] Which resolution?

Daniel Asarnow asarnow at msg.ucsf.edu
Wed Feb 12 18:14:36 PST 2020

Pawel,
I think we all want to know where the atoms go. Most people - not just
electron microscopists or structural biologists - think "resolution" refers
to a characteristic distance at which two points can be distinguished from
one, or within which one point can be confidently placed. So far, there has
not been a widely adopted method for determining such distances for cryo-EM
maps, which is why we like to argue about it. After all, we care a lot
about where the atoms go! Pavel's methods in Phenix, or other methods based
on ensemble modeling are a start in this direction.

Best,
-da