[3dem] [ccpem] lost gain reference image (Camera Normalization)

Marin van Heel marin.vanheel at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 2 08:51:07 PDT 2018

Dear Dimitry,

We have shown that you can perform movie alignments on a more local
basis without using very extreme low-pass filters (sometimes described
as "B-factors"). Thus you will necessarily have a larger yield of usable
particles from the same set of micrographs. That is more than sufficient
evidence of improvement!  The FRC is a metric that is local to your
correction operation and that measures the improvement directly. The
final 3D map resolution only comes at the end  of a long pipeline, that
any two people will perform differently and that is too indirectly
related to the very early data-set correction. Bottom line: the FRC
metric is necessary and sufficient to show the data-set improvement by
the camera correction. However it does not necessarily and sufficiently
guarantee that nobody will generate gold-standard garbage further down
the pipeline.  ;)
Cheers,
Marin