[3dem] [ccpem] lost gain reference image (Camera Normalization)

Marin van Heel marin.vanheel at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 3 13:47:44 PDT 2018

Dear Oliver

Unfortunately, that is not feasible in general. Our claim is that using
the "/a posteriori/ camera correction" you will end up with a
better/larger set of particles simply because there is less "fixed
pattern noise"  in the data (and also less fixed pattern gain noise.) In
other words the "with" versus the "without" picking coordinates would be
different, the number of picked particles should be larger, the number
of rejected particles further down the pipeline should be smaller, and
the rotation/shift/ movie alignment parameters different.  If one would
apply "camera-corrected picking coordinates" to not corrected images,
one would improve the "not corrected" results beyond the "fully
not-corrected" processing results. These would still be a bit worse than
the original fully-corrected processing results.  If, on the other hand,
one would apply the "not corrected" co-ordinates to the "corrected"
images, those would do slightly better than the
"fully not-corrected" processing results due to the removal of the fixed
pattern noise. However, one would miss out on the major "fully
corrected" processing advantages: more particles and better movie
alignments.  Are you still with me?

Bottom line: use the FRC as an immediate proof of the camera correction
and stop thinking about the issue henceforth. ;)

By the way, the camera correction even improves the power spectrum and
thus the CTF determination...  But that we will show in a forthcoming
publication!

Cheers,

Marin