[3dem] Set value and actual magnification differ

Subangstrom info at subangstrom.com
Tue Feb 20 14:28:53 PST 2018

Hi Dr. Masich,

There are a few points to make here and two things that could cause
magnification problems in general.

Some points:

The magnification you read out in the user interface is the
magnification at the "flu screen." The magnification you read out on the
user interface when you lift the screen is the magnification at the film
plane. The actual magnification (or as we commonly refer to it: pixel
size) at the camera plane will depend on the camera's position along the
path of the beam. The further along the beam path, the greater the
magnification.

It is expected that you will have a higher mag at the camera plane than
what is read out on the user interface. From your description however,
it sounds like the mag that is read out on the screen is fixed but the
effective magnification at the camera plane is changing (from 50kX to
some other value). If this is indeed the case, I would check on the
following:

The magnification is determined by the excitation values of the
projection lenses. For any given magnification, each lens of the
projection system should have a specified current flowing through it
that would achieve that magnification at the given high tension value.
For CM systems, if you open up the service documentation that is
delivered with the system, a table of these currents is available for
reference. You can open up the "display currents" page on the interface
and compare them. For a fully functional system the current values won't
be exact, but very close. In my experience, these values are
trustworthy. In theory, it is also possible to pull out the lens cable,
put a current meter in series, and measure the 'true current' in the
event you need to get into deeper troubleshooting.

If the currents are correct sometimes and not other times, then you have
a problem to troubleshoot.

The problem can be:

1) The HT circuit- there are several boards that govern the HT and how
it ties in to the lenses, any one of them could be defective

2) The lens circuit- there are several boards that amplify the signal
and produce the current for each lens, any one of them could be defective

3) Both circuits- this is less likely, but it could be more than one
board on each circuit causing this issue; if that were the case I'd
expect a more dramatic symptom

I hope this was helpful.

Best,

Mark Ebrahim