[3dem] Set value and actual magnification differ

Rado Danev danev at biochem.mpg.de
Wed Feb 21 00:49:15 PST 2018

Hi Sergej,

Yet another (very unpleasant) possibility is an intermittent short in the
coil of a projector lens. You won't be able to easily detect this by
monitoring the lens current because the lens power supplies are constant
current. Instead, check the voltage across the lens coil for intermittent
jumps. The magnification change spikes will also be visible on the
fluorescent screen.

I would put my bet on a communication/software issue though because the few
spurious images had higher magnification than what was requested. Is the
50kX mag one of the standard mags? In other words, were the spurious images
at a different mag from the standard mag range?

All the best,

Rado