[3dem] molecular weight issue for CryoEM

Ludovic Renault llrrenault at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 23:23:34 PDT 2016

Dear Prakash,

150kDa shouldn't prevent you from trying at least.
Of course you need access to a TEM equipped with a K2 and possibly volta
phase plate.
Before you invest time in the cryo prep, I would advise having a look in
negative stain first, maybe make sure you can get some nice 2d averages or
even a low resolution 3D.
If you don't have a K2/vpp, then collaborate with some lab that has those.
There's also the option to access multi-users cryo-EM facilities. Bob
Glaeser listed a few in commentary of Nat Meth of the year
http://www.nature.com/nmeth/journal/v13/n1/fig_tab/nmeth.3695_T1.html

150 is not easy but it's not impossible, of course it's highly sample
dependent.

Best,
Ludo