[3DEM] F30 cartridge problem

Z Hong Zhou Z.H.Zhou at uth.tmc.edu
Wed Oct 13 18:11:54 PDT 2004

Bill;

            We have had the same problem for a couple of times already in
our new Polara G2 in the last couple of months. We were told by FEI an
engineer that this was due to the different temperatures between the stage
and the insertion rod. Their reasoning is that if you insert a cartridge at
room temperature (carbon film test specimen) into a cooled column (liquid
nitrogen), the cartridge will be "frozen" to the stage and it won't release
even after unscrewing. I could not possibly figure out how a dry copper
cartridge can possibly be frozen to a metal surface the high vacuum of the
column and was not convinced by their explanation. Nor do I have an
explanation myself.

            I should indicate that during one of the two incidences we had,
the problem mysteriously disappeared after leaving the cartridge in the
stage overnight.

Hong

Z. Hong Zhou, Ph.D., Assoc. Prof.,  http://hub.med.uth.tmc.edu/~hong

Ph: 713.500.5358  Fax:713.500.0730, Email: Z.H.Zhou at uth.tmc.edu

University of Texas - Houston, Medical School, 6431 Fannin, MSB2.280

Department of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine, Houston, TX 77030

Secretary support: Ms Chris Haverkorn 7135005316
Christine.M.Haverkorn at uth.tmc.edu