F30 cartridge problem

Bill Tivol tivol at caltech.edu
Wed Oct 13 17:36:35 PDT 2004

Dear List,
	Lately we have been having trouble when trying to extract a cartridge
from the stage into the insertion rod.  The cartridge stays in the
stage after the thread has been unscrewed.  This has occurred with
cartridges of all types--screw ring, c-clip, and flip-flop.  The only
way we know that works to extract successfully is to put hot water in
the dewar on the insertion rod and heat the rod to ~50 C.  Even this
method is not always successful, and, of course, if we wish to continue
studying a frozen-hydrated specimen, such as when taking a dual-axis
tilt series, such a warm-up is unacceptable.  Has anyone 1) seen this
problem, 2) managed to determine the cause, and/or 3) found a way to
extract the cartridge that does not spoil the specimen?  TIA for any
help.
Yours,
Bill Tivol, PhD
EM Scientist and Manager