[3DEM] F30 cartridge problem

Bob Grassucci bobg at wadsworth.org
Thu Oct 14 06:15:13 PDT 2004

Hi Bill and Hong,
         This sticking of the cartridge may be from contamination residing
on either the inner conical surface of the stage or the outer conical
surface of the cartridge that is acting like a glue.  The warm surface of
the cartridge (or the pressure between the surfaces) would melt it and
after it cools down it will again solidify.  Is there a significant amount
of contamination building up on your sample if you leave it in for
overnight?  One thing to try is to use the plastic screw rod to break the
bond between the cartridge and specimen stage by pushing into the cartridge
a few times (without turning).  I have also sent this to the tecnai user
list in case there are any other Polara owners experiencing this problem
there.  Another potential reason could be the position of the plastic screw
rod into the cartridge.  There is the possibility that the plastic rod is
not becoming fully disengaged from the cartridge.  There must be sufficient
displacement of this rod so that it is fully removed.  There is a spring
that should push the plastic rod out of the stage once it is
disengaged.  Please contact me if you have any further questions.  Good luck.
         Bob

Robert Grassucci
Howard Hughes Medical Institute
Wadsworth Center