[3dem] Background in cell samples under Leica cryo CLEM

Jeongyoon Choi jeongyoon.choi at bioch.ox.ac.uk
Thu Aug 25 05:53:22 PDT 2022

Hi Juan,

Hope you are well.

I think it’s a general phenomenon that there are much more autofluorescence (fluo background as you said) detected in cryo temperature, especially mammalian cells. You may have seen or could check this paper reporting the similar issue:  Carter, S. D., Mageswaran, S. K., Farino, Z. J., Mamede, J. I., Oikonomou, C. M., Hope, T. J., Freyberg, Z., & Jensen, G. J. (2018). Distinguishing signal from autofluorescence in cryogenic correlated light and electron microscopy of mammalian cells. J Struct Biol, 201(1), 15-25. https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsb.2017.10.009__;!!Mih3wA!HZbRUUWHg4Fs8iMo-y6cRGVbXFPHGIW5Qp6xuo_qTVJI5WC3HqxTEgGbJt_dzhutI0Yygx5fy1pUK6GOz6kda-M2WjAJd-Lsme0$

I also see more autofluorescence in my sample in cryo temperature than RT, especially in green channel. My guess is that in RT the autofluorescence get quenched soon after imaging, but in cryo any fluorescence gets barely quenched or very slow to get quenched (at least by non-laser light source as Leica cryoCLEM).

Best wishes,
Joy