[3dem] Postdoc position in CryoEM, University of Sheffield

Per A Bullough p.bullough at sheffield.ac.uk
Thu Aug 25 14:03:09 PDT 2022

Applications are invited for a 4-year fixed term post-doctoral research
position based in the laboratories of Prof Per Bullough (Biosciences), Dr
Robert Fagan (Biosciences) and Prof. Jamie Hobbs (Physics and Astronomy) at
The University of Sheffield. The project is funded by the BBSRC.

In this multidisciplinary project you will join a team applying
state-of-the-art techniques of structural and molecular biology to
investigate the way spores of pathogenic bacteria germinate and emerge as
metabolically active cells. For this first appointment we seek an expert in
electron cryomicroscopy (CryoEM) and/or advanced protein X-ray
crystallography. Experience in molecular biology techniques would be an
advantage. In later stages of the project, we will also appoint an atomic
force microscopist to join the project.

We will study germination in two selected organisms- *Clostridium
sporogenes* and *Clostridioides difficile*. *C. sporogenes* is
non-pathogenic but very closely related to *C. botulinum* which causes
botulism, a potentially lethal paralysis. *C. difficile* is the leading
cause of antibiotic-associated diarrhoea, especially in hospital patients
and the elderly.

We will use CryoEM (cryotomography, single particle analysis and electron
crystallography), AFM, fluorescence microscopy & molecular biology to
understand how this remarkable, but little understood, metamorphosis takes
place. We are superbly equipped for all this work, and we are part of a
thriving community of enthusiastic and collaborative molecular
microbiologists, structural biologists and biophysicists.

Applicants are expected to have excellent interpersonal and communication
skills, be highly independent and committed to research in a fast-moving
and competitive field.

The University of Sheffield is an internationally recognised centre of
excellence in biology, with world-class research facilities. Research at
Sheffield was ranked 4th in the UK for biological sciences and 1st in
physics in the 2021 Research Excellence Framework. Sheffield is a vibrant
and friendly city and incorporates part of the Peak District National Park
within the city boundaries.

For further details about the post, see https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/jobs__;!!Mih3wA!B7MkMwhGd8cyD2oW65DiH0KW1fnSgEa2dBG9ZihOtCoREx2Tc9ECsizbhasGAl_SNwuGEub7iqrTpBVBgcvX1TZ8lHby8Q$  .
The job reference is UOS034290.

The deadline for applications is 21 September 2022.

For an informal discussion about the position, please email me.

Prof. Per A. Bullough
Harrison Chair of Structural Biology
Lead, Molecular Microbiology; Biochemistry to Disease
School of Biosciences
University of Sheffield
Firth Court
Western Bank