[3dem] Free CryoEM Webinar - February 29th, 2024, 12pm (Eastern)

Davulcu, Omar omar.davulcu at pnnl.gov
Tue Jan 30 09:11:58 PST 2024

Dear all,

Mark your calendars and register for our next NIH sponsored Joint CryoEM Service Centers Webinar: "Engineered Protein Cages for Imaging of Small Proteins by Cryo-EM" by Dr. Roger Castells-Graells on Thursday, February 29th, 2024 at 12pm Eastern.  Please see attachment or below for details.

Registration is at no-cost, but sign-up is required:  https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_6Vc1PwERRL6z7S_AtfPgDQ__;!!Mih3wA!B_pqLSgqcG8OZMZBRPKpKuADDC7_iVueIYKqy3v4H0Sol6fQkUK1PutZsugXXHZejvi2290KVwLXW1xwcKQ5QeFBPHg$

For more information regarding the National CryoEM Service Centers, please visit https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.cryoemcenters.org/cryoem-centers/__;!!Mih3wA!B_pqLSgqcG8OZMZBRPKpKuADDC7_iVueIYKqy3v4H0Sol6fQkUK1PutZsugXXHZejvi2290KVwLXW1xwcKQ5PERQz8w$

Best,
Omar Davulcu
Scientific Point of Contact
Pacific Northwest Cryo-EM Center
a PNNL and OHSU affiliation    Website<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/pncc.labworks.org/__;!!Mi0JBg!burdB2N3-jSi-4APwohcbkMgXzrhpmrr-Q_XadX2I6g6qfUKLs-MOS_CSrl8z8tr$>    PNCC Twitter<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/twitter.com/CryoEM_PNCC__;!!Mi0JBg!burdB2N3-jSi-4APwohcbkMgXzrhpmrr-Q_XadX2I6g6qfUKLs-MOS_CSvMnTGN3$>

CryoEM Current Practices Webinar

Engineered Protein Cages for Imaging of Small Proteins by Cryo-EM

[cid:image001.jpg at 01DA535C.5FDC9840][cid:image002.png at 01DA535C.5FDC9840]

Roger Castells-Graells, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Fellow
Institute for Genomics and Proteomics, University of California, Los Angeles

12PM EDT / 9AM PDT Thursday, February 29, 2024

Recent technical advances have made cryo-electron microscopy (cryo-EM) an attractive method for atomic structure determination, but problems of low signal-to-noise prevent routine structure determination of proteins smaller than about 50 kDa. We have developed symmetric protein imaging scaffolds to display and solve the structure of small proteins. In earlier work, we demonstrated the design of a novel protein cage scaffold with sufficient rigidity and modularity to reach an imaging resolution of 3.8 Å for a 26 kDa protein. In the present work, we use molecular engineering techniques to further rigidify a new cryo-EM imaging scaffold, enabling 3 Å or better resolution imaging to be achieved, even for very small proteins. We apply this system to the key cancer signaling protein KRAS (19 kDa in size), obtaining four structures of oncogenic mutational variants by cryo-EM. Importantly, a structure for the key G12C mutant bound to an inhibitor drug (AMG510) reveals significant conformational differences compared to prior data in the crystalline state. The findings highlight the promise of cryo-EM scaffolds for advancing the design of drug molecules against small therapeutic protein targets in cancer and other human diseases.

All are welcome to attend. Registration is at no-cost, but sign-up is required: