[3dem] Calling Teamtomo: our CERES ICE-Shield isn't working properly

Sabrina Berkamp s.berkamp at fz-juelich.de
Mon Jan 22 06:35:41 PST 2024

Hi Richard!

We have had the CERES ICE-shield for a while and it works reasonably well in our hands!

Couple ideas:
When we first had it installed we noticed that the CERES ICE-shield would block the ion beam after a couple uses and never return to the correct position. It turns out Delmic had started using a new type of screw to mount the CERES and this screw would expand (or shrink?) differently than the surrounding materials in cold temperatures. End result was that the shield would slip out of it’s normal, calibrated position and end up somewhere else. Swapping the screws that mount it fixed this problem.

Our TFS Aquilos maintenance engineer mentioned that the gas pressure used to insert and retract the CERES Ice shield should also be checked. Too little or too much air pressure would result in CERES being in the wrong position, and could result in it ending up in a different position each time. You should be able to adjust the pressure next to the press-release valves on the unit. A small leak in the tubing would also cause pressure loss and a wrong insert distance.

I supposed you have checked that the CERES doesn’t touch anything or get’s jammed? Not all crashes result in a touch alarm unfortunately. The bracket that it’s mounted on is also not bend? I think it was designed to hold a much lighter part after all.

If you have any questions or want to chat about CERES, we can always message back or schedule a zoom call!

Sincerely,
Sabrina Berkamp
Postdoc

Forschungszentrum Jülich GmbH
Ernst-Ruska Centre for Microscopy and Spectroscopy with Electrons / ER-C-3 Structural Biology
Institute for Biological Information Processing / IBI-6 Cellular Structural Biology
Wilhelm-Johnen-Straße, 52425 Jülich, Germany
Phone: +49 2461 61 2032
https://go.fzj.de/erc3-ibi6
Email: s.berkamp at fz-juelich.de