[3dem] Calling Teamtomo: our CERES ICE-Shield isn't working properly

Walsh, Richard Michael Richard_Walsh at hms.harvard.edu
Sat Jan 20 04:56:19 PST 2024

We have heard of several sites using the CERES Ice-Shield on their Aquilos with no issues, but we have a reoccurring problem, during the thinning stage and its effecting our lamella quality.

When using the CERES Ice-Shield in tandem with AutoTEM, we notice that each time the stage moves, the ice shield retracts and re-inserts, and thus during the thinning stage of the AutoTEM automation, the shield blocks reference image collection, thus resulting in a misplaced pattern and inconsistent lamella quality.

Link to Video For Reference: https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dyQR57ZPr6SQv_AypQvH-uOSCqPkD9jp/view__;!!Mih3wA!E4y-pfw8EsMkATaLFu-CyxAq6fvhvv2ObUTsGRwM7Zuf9I7SZj3gejlAO1pKmek9JdeXQL0L8NxOyAI8Sr8M5sPNdEuM68CYxg$

So far neither Delmic nor ThermoFisher have any idea how to resolve this problem.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

best regards,

Richard

Richard M. Walsh , Ph.D.