[3dem] Beam drift - Glacios G2

Farzad farzaad at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 02:22:11 PST 2024

Dear Piotr,

Beam drift might have two main causes:

*1- Tempetature: *The most plausible cause is changing the temperature,
either ambient, lens or water temperature. The most sensitive parts there
are C2 and Obj. The temperature induced drift is gradual and steady.

*2- Hysteresis: *The second plausible reason might be hysteresis of C2. It
is more problematic in most of the older JEOL microscopes where you could
not change the C2 current abruptly (e.g wobbling for aperture centering
etc.). Glacios also has some considerable hysteresis in its C2 but it does
not end in beam cut offs if you use a proper (big enough) C2 aperture or in
general if you use the microscope in the recommended optical set ups.

For characterizing the true cause of the drift, please change one parameter
at the time. For that reason please go to diffraction and image mode using
hand panel not EPU-D software. EPU-D does some extra steps and corrections
which might be misleading. You can then characterize the responsible
parameter. Monitor the water and ambient temperature using extra sensors
and data loggers. I did it myself. You wont believe how much insight you
might get. You can also read the lens temperature using the engineer's
monitoring software. Ask this from your engineer to give you access to the
microscop's parameters graphs. Change the current of each lens separately.
Doing all these steps you can analyze the situation. Also make sure if the
normalization functions are set up correctly.

I guess according to what you described it is a thermal issue which leads
to a steady beam drift. Specially if it happens in one direction e.g. x or
y or in between. So monitoring lens temperatures are the first thing to go.

And at the end you should not expect the ultimate stability like a Krios.
As mentioned before it has a decent amout of C2 hysteresis. Moreover the
lenses (except the objective) are not constant powers. You should deal with
a bit of instabilities.

Cheers

Ferrie- Halle

Dr.-Ing Farzad Hamdi,
EM Engineer - Staff Scientist
Kastritis Laboratory for Biomolecular Research (KLBR)
Cryo-Electron Microscopy & Computational Structural Biology
__
Institute of Biochemistry and Biotechnology
Martin-Luther-Universität Halle-Wittenberg (MLU)
ZIK HALOmem & Biozentrum, Room A.2.14 & 15
Weinbergweg 22, 06120, Halle (Saale), Germany

Phone:

Office: +49 345 5524984
Glacios Room: +49 345 5524883
JEM-3200FSC Room: +49 345 5524868

web (Lab): https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://blogs.urz.uni-halle.de/kastritislab/__;!!Mih3wA!GPZ7X_AhVEo7QtYIaOstPub1aVYf4pn9b52bTArE2p9UGKvDCDWVoqPmtfelqNXxEDyT7gokXVWTxjk-Rg$

Achtung: Falls Sie diese E-Mail auf Deutsch erhalten, bedenken Sie bitte,
dass sie mit dem Deepl AI Übersetzer übersetzt werden könnte.