[3dem] Beam drift - Glacios G2

Piotr Szwedziak piotr.szwedziak at zmb.uzh.ch
Tue Feb 13 01:52:41 PST 2024

Dear All,
We have realised that the electron beam of our Glacios G2 (installed in December 2023) is not stable - for instance switching from imaging to diffraction and back causes the beam to return to a different position and continue drifting for several minutes. More background information:

-          switching on/off active electromagnetic field cancellation system doesn't make a difference to the beam stability

-          opening/closing the microscope enclosure, disturbing the electromagnetic field intentionally doesn't make a difference to the beam stability

-          a lower end EM (Talos 120), which is next door and in similar electromagnetic field environment, has a very stable beam that doesn't drift

-          the drift we observe on the Glacios G2 is particularly severe after changing microscope magnification/switching to diffraction

-          the beam drift is unidirectional rather than in random orientations
Therefore we believe the issue of the unstable beam is system- rather than environment-related. Has anyone experienced similar problems?
Best and many thanks,
Piotr

--
Piotr Szwedziak, PhD
Center for Microscopy and Image Analysis

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.zmb.uzh.ch__;!!Mih3wA!BgqpzTo-2WBAwsfCCK3jlKhiuaqeltrSgddXo-y0pzPcd8ipwK2HMEs0Sv7BLcvO-_CHP6izkwjHFdcKl7GmEPqnQqvGMnN54g$