[3dem] Cooling water

Tim Gruene tim.gruene at univie.ac.at
Fri Feb 9 15:31:59 PST 2024

Dear Ruben,

we use singly distilled water, buffered to pH 7.5-pH8 with baking
powder or Na-phosphate buffer. It should not be sour to prevent
corrosion. We also add Thermoclean Blue to keep  algae and bacteria
out, and refresh the Thermoclean annually.

Best,
Tim

On Fri, 9 Feb 2024 14:32:26 -0800 Ruben Diaz <pindusito at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a silly question: what type of water do people use to keep the
> microscopes happy and chilled? We have already had two instances of
> corrosion on the cameras (K3), which have resulted in uber-pricey
> repairs, but the other parts of the microscopes seem perfectly fine
> and corrosion-free. The water does not show any unusual hardness or
> presence of ions that could be blamed for the corrosion. I am very
> interested to hear if other people have faced similar problems, and
> how they have been solved.
>
> Ruben.

Tim Gruene
Head of the Centre for X-ray Structure Analysis
Faculty of Chemistry
University of Vienna

Phone: +43-1-4277-70202

GPG Key ID = A46BEE1A