[3dem] RELION-5.0 beta release

Sjors Scheres - MRC LMB scheres at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Thu Oct 26 09:18:26 PDT 2023

Dear EM-ers,

We are pleased to announce that RELION-5.0 is now available for public
beta testing. RELION-5.0 comes with:

1) Blush regularisation: a machine-learning based prior that improves 3D
refinement and classification of low SNR data sets
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2023.10.23.563586v1__;!!Mih3wA!Agbwh5X0SO0WcuGG9jbVt_yQS2N6SXi2fQ7w02WTyTsstJ3Pmu9mQb0DRakebyREwL4e0hzk5B7djYBQXmlkUzS85cg$

2) DynaMight: a variational auto-encoder for modelling continuous
structural heterogeneity and a deformed backprojection algorithm for
reconstruction of improved consensus maps
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2023.10.18.562877v1__;!!Mih3wA!Agbwh5X0SO0WcuGG9jbVt_yQS2N6SXi2fQ7w02WTyTsstJ3Pmu9mQb0DRakebyREwL4e0hzk5B7djYBQXmlkYESyCeI$

3) ModelAngelo: a machine-learning approach for automated atomic model
building and identification of unknown proteins in cryo-EM maps
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2023.05.16.541002v2__;!!Mih3wA!Agbwh5X0SO0WcuGG9jbVt_yQS2N6SXi2fQ7w02WTyTsstJ3Pmu9mQb0DRakebyREwL4e0hzk5B7djYBQXmlkl7pkXQ4$

4) Select subsets of filaments using dendrograms make from 2D class
averaging assignments
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2023.07.24.550295v1__;!!Mih3wA!Agbwh5X0SO0WcuGG9jbVt_yQS2N6SXi2fQ7w02WTyTsstJ3Pmu9mQb0DRakebyREwL4e0hzk5B7djYBQXmlks6qwei8$

5) Support for AMD and Intel GPUs (CUDA and intel CPU-acceleration
continue to work too)
-> your feedback on these new accelerators, especially when also using
the cheaper gaming cards, are welcomed. For the moment, Topaz, Blush,
class_ranker, DynaMight and ModelAngelo only work on NVIDIA cards.

6) A sub-tomogram averaging pipeline from raw movies until atomic modelling
-> please note that this part of RELION-5.0 is not yet finished. We are
still writing a tutorial & documentation, and we are still running
tests. You are welcome to already try the new code (relion --tomo), but
until we are ready with the documentation and testing, we cannot yet
provide feedback on this part of the code. Please be patient. If you use
this part of the code and would like to cite us, in the mean time you
can cite this paper:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://elifesciences.org/articles/83724__;!!Mih3wA!Agbwh5X0SO0WcuGG9jbVt_yQS2N6SXi2fQ7w02WTyTsstJ3Pmu9mQb0DRakebyREwL4e0hzk5B7djYBQXmlkKJgB7p4$

RELION-5.0 remains proudly open-source, and is completely free for all
users. Download the code from:https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://github.com/3dem/relion/tree/ver5.0__;!!Mih3wA!Agbwh5X0SO0WcuGG9jbVt_yQS2N6SXi2fQ7w02WTyTsstJ3Pmu9mQb0DRakebyREwL4e0hzk5B7djYBQXmlkPdCdMFk$

Read its new documentation at:https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://relion.readthedocs.io/en/release-5.0__;!!Mih3wA!Agbwh5X0SO0WcuGG9jbVt_yQS2N6SXi2fQ7w02WTyTsstJ3Pmu9mQb0DRakebyREwL4e0hzk5B7djYBQXmlkfYcLWiY$
For those of you who have installed RELION before, a lot has stayed the
same, but please note the additional step of making a conda environment,
prior to compiling RELION.

Best regards,
The RELION team (https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://relion.readthedocs.io/en/release-5.0/Team.html__;!!Mih3wA!Agbwh5X0SO0WcuGG9jbVt_yQS2N6SXi2fQ7w02WTyTsstJ3Pmu9mQb0DRakebyREwL4e0hzk5B7djYBQXmlkVoEMhRg$ )

--
Sjors Scheres
MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology