[3dem] Open Postdoctoral position — Rogala Lab at Stanford

Kacper Rogala k.b.rogala at gmail.com
Wed May 31 00:41:19 PDT 2023

Dear 3DEM Community,

Our lab at Stanford (https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://rogala.stanford.edu__;!!Mih3wA!BUpqoKu5Q8PldhNDtEgPa5VBKHwCTA930RPSiaKJ1YYbLXYEdPu6tcGRlberV7NG8HTz6yHadxjGVsT49lr2Jw$ ) has open postdoctoral
positions for structural biologists and protein biochemists. We are a
fairly young lab, and we are looking for driven candidates with a start-up
mentality and a deep interest in deciphering protein mechanisms. Please
feel free to spread the word to your about-to-graduate PhD students who
might be looking for their next career step!

Please see the official ad on the Stanford postdoc website here
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://postdocs.stanford.edu/prospective/opportunities/open-postdoctoral-position-faculty-mentor-kacper-rogala__;!!Mih3wA!BUpqoKu5Q8PldhNDtEgPa5VBKHwCTA930RPSiaKJ1YYbLXYEdPu6tcGRlberV7NG8HTz6yHadxjGVsTk2FT6og$ >,
and a short blurb below — describing what the lab is about.

Potential candidates, please write a few lines about yourself — about your
previous research experience, and what you liked about our lab that got you
interested! Please include your CV and contact details to three references.

Many thanks and best wishes,

Kacper
KACPER ROGALA, D.PHIL.

*Assistant Professor*

*–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––-*

Department of Structural Biology
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://med.stanford.edu/structuralbio.html__;!!Mih3wA!BUpqoKu5Q8PldhNDtEgPa5VBKHwCTA930RPSiaKJ1YYbLXYEdPu6tcGRlberV7NG8HTz6yHadxjGVsRB1sGXlA$ >

Department of Chemical and Systems Biology
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://chemsysbio.stanford.edu/__;!!Mih3wA!BUpqoKu5Q8PldhNDtEgPa5VBKHwCTA930RPSiaKJ1YYbLXYEdPu6tcGRlberV7NG8HTz6yHadxjGVsTk41StZA$ >
Stanford Cancer Institute <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://med.stanford.edu/cancer.html__;!!Mih3wA!BUpqoKu5Q8PldhNDtEgPa5VBKHwCTA930RPSiaKJ1YYbLXYEdPu6tcGRlberV7NG8HTz6yHadxjGVsQNl0tduA$ >

Stanford University School of Medicine

Biomedical Innovations Building
240 Pasteur Drive, 4700 | Palo Alto, CA, 94304

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://rogala.stanford.edu__;!!Mih3wA!BUpqoKu5Q8PldhNDtEgPa5VBKHwCTA930RPSiaKJ1YYbLXYEdPu6tcGRlberV7NG8HTz6yHadxjGVsT49lr2Jw$

We are a team of structural and chemical biologists fascinated by how cells
control their metabolism in response to nutrients. How are nutrients
recognized by their protein sensors? How is their transport across cellular
and intracellular membranes regulated? And, how is nutrient sensing
integrated with other chemical signals, such as hormones, to determine
cellular decisions, especially the decision: to grow or not to grow? We are
aiming to answer these fundamental questions at the level of ångstroms,
nanometers, and micrometers — with cryo-EM, X-ray crystallography, and a
full range of other techniques. Many proteins in nutrient signaling
pathways are deregulated in cancer, and in parallel to the mechanistic
structural work, we are also developing targeted chemical probes to
modulate activity of these proteins in cells and organisms.

*We work on large soluble signaling complexes and membrane protein
transporters.*

Our latest papers on this topic are:

   -

   Valenstein and Rogala et al. (2022) Structure of the nutrient-sensing
   hub GATOR2. Nature, 607(7919):610-616. PMID: 35831510
   <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35831510/__;!!Mih3wA!BUpqoKu5Q8PldhNDtEgPa5VBKHwCTA930RPSiaKJ1YYbLXYEdPu6tcGRlberV7NG8HTz6yHadxjGVsRdp-wZNw$ >.
   -

   Rogala et al. (2019) Structural basis for the docking of mTORC1 on the
   lysosomal surface. Science, 366(6464):468-475. PMID: 31601708
   <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31601708__;!!Mih3wA!BUpqoKu5Q8PldhNDtEgPa5VBKHwCTA930RPSiaKJ1YYbLXYEdPu6tcGRlberV7NG8HTz6yHadxjGVsQTyHofOw$ >.
   -

   Shen and Rogala et al. (2019) Cryo-EM structure of the human
   FLCN-FNIP2-Rag-Ragulator complex. Cell, 179(6):1319-1329.e8. PMID:
   31704029 <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31704029__;!!Mih3wA!BUpqoKu5Q8PldhNDtEgPa5VBKHwCTA930RPSiaKJ1YYbLXYEdPu6tcGRlberV7NG8HTz6yHadxjGVsTjNbaEyA$ >.