[3dem] Falcon 4(i) issues

Radecke, Julika (DLSLtd,RAL,LSCI) julika.radecke at diamond.ac.uk
Thu Jun 15 06:29:31 PDT 2023

Dear all,

I have a question and a note for Falcon 4(i) users.

The question is, we have 2 Krioses at Harwell Campus equipped with a Falcon 4i (and SelectrisX) and for both of them in order to get a defocus value at gridsquare magnification in EPU and possibly Tomo (?, I can't test this anymore on our system) we have to put the equivalent positive value in. Has anyone else encountered this problem on a Krios? We have a few ideas i.e. a bug, or EFTEM or some calibration related problems. We circumvented the problem on one system now by changing a Focus calibration value from positive to negative which however inverts the defocus input values on the Ceta. The problem does not occur on our Glacioses equipped with a Falcon 4i. I would be interested to know if you do or do not see the problem on either a 300 or 200 kV system, and also if the problem occurs in serialEM? The problem does not occur on our K3 systems.

And a note for everyone using the Falcon 4(i) not on the latest TEM server version, if traffic light is running, multishot collections are significantly slower (i.e. 370 shots per hour versus 515 when traffic light is switched off), the bug has been fixed in the latest TEM server version.

Best,
Julika

Dr. Julika Radecke

EM Scientist

Electron Bio-Imaging Centre (eBIC)

Diamond Light Source

Harwell Science & Innovation Research Campus

OX11 0DE

01235 778931