[3dem] CryoET Data Portal Beta Release, ML Competition

Bridget Carragher bcarragher at czii.org
Fri Dec 15 16:23:34 PST 2023

Hi 3DEM colleagues,

We’re excited to share the beta release of the CryoET Data Portal<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://cryoetdataportal.czscience.com/__;!!Mih3wA!CB7Nk5GhJMqhVh3cMLwiHj3lYuJ-GhyBH-iEZ_PmIiThmY2DTxZxOzLWTXOTQ9WGI9GfxkEAKvWPNJJkyVA21A$ >. This project, built jointly by the Chan Zuckerberg Imaging Institute and the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, provides biologists and developers with open access to high-quality, standardized, annotated cryo-electron tomography data they can use to retrain or develop new annotation models and algorithms. Users can find and visualize cryo-ET datasets in the portal and download them for use in their work.

The portal currently contains over 13,000 tomograms from nearly 300 datasets. We’re also working with EMPIAR<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.ebi.ac.uk/empiar/__;!!Mih3wA!CB7Nk5GhJMqhVh3cMLwiHj3lYuJ-GhyBH-iEZ_PmIiThmY2DTxZxOzLWTXOTQ9WGI9GfxkEAKvWPNJLj4QmjLA$ >to host the data and support annotation in the future. We invite community members like you to contribute to what we hope will become a large database of validated 3D structural information for cells that researchers can use to gain new insights into cellular and structural biology. If you’re interested in sharing datasets and/or annotations to existing data, please fill out this short form<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://airtable.com/apppmytRJXoXYTO9w/shr5UxgeQcUTSGyiY?prefill_Event=3dem202312&hide_Event=true__;!!Mih3wA!CB7Nk5GhJMqhVh3cMLwiHj3lYuJ-GhyBH-iEZ_PmIiThmY2DTxZxOzLWTXOTQ9WGI9GfxkEAKvWPNJI6lZvN2Q$ >.

We encourage you to test the portal, and we value your feedback on how to make this resource widely useful to the imaging community. If you’d like to receive occasional invites to participate in user feedback activities, please let us know<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://airtable.com/apppmytRJXoXYTO9w/shr9pSO9Rhqv3F1kX?prefill_Event=3dem202312&hide_Event=true__;!!Mih3wA!CB7Nk5GhJMqhVh3cMLwiHj3lYuJ-GhyBH-iEZ_PmIiThmY2DTxZxOzLWTXOTQ9WGI9GfxkEAKvWPNJIo58DEZA$ >.

We’re also planning to launch a machine-learning challenge using datasets within the portal next year to encourage algorithm development, and we’ll share more about this as plans come together. If you are interested in learning more about the Chan Zuckerberg Imaging Institute, please sign up for our mailing list<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://info.chanzuckerberg.com/czii-newsletter-sign-up__;!!Mih3wA!CB7Nk5GhJMqhVh3cMLwiHj3lYuJ-GhyBH-iEZ_PmIiThmY2DTxZxOzLWTXOTQ9WGI9GfxkEAKvWPNJIRKM11Qg$ >.

Best regards,

Bridget
P.S.  Please send replies to cryoetdataportal at chanzuckerberg.com<mailto:cryoetdataportal at chanzuckerberg.com> ; sending from my own account today as waiting for approval for this new email address 😊

Bridget Carragher
Founding Technical Director
Chan Zuckerberg Imaging Institute
bcarragher at czii.org<mailto:bridget.carragher at czbiohub.org>