[3dem] Applying Local Symmetry in RELION 4.0

Nicholas Vangos nvangos at umich.edu
Mon Aug 21 08:09:17 PDT 2023

Hi all,

I’ve been trying (unsuccessfully I think) to use the "--local_symmetry"
additional argument in RELION 4.0. I have a seemingly OK
mask_and_operators.star file, format copied from the local symmetry
documentation page
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www3.mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk/relion/*index.php?title=Local_symmetry*Definition_of_local_symmetry_in_RELION__;LyM!!Mih3wA!EMkmHgXGPpKo_xjMsa5AHHS0Tad64wyWuRi7O7jmEer4BRs4KAuURtbGK1DdqLSI5ao9dDQLVXxJGGzhO-np$ >,
and the job runs without any error message. However, I notice the output
logfile reads "Applying local symmetry in real space according to 1
operators..." despite the fact that my mask_and_operators.star file
describes multiple operators. I also see no difference in output map or
reported resolution if I apply local symmetry, which makes me think I'm not
actually applying local symmetry at all. I wonder if it has to do with the
older .star file format of the mask_and_operators.star, which still has the
"data_/loop_" convention of RELION 3.0.

Has anyone else tried to apply local symmetry during refinement jobs on
RELION 4.0? Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks,
Nick

--
Nicholas Vangos (he/him) | PhD Candidate
University of Michigan