[3dem] Interpretation of strange objects in a cryo-EM sample

vincent Chaptal vincent.chaptal at ibcp.fr
Thu Apr 13 06:58:03 PDT 2023

Dear James,

you didn't say which detergent the micelles would be orinigating from,
it changes from detergent to detergent.

But in any case, beside the mix DDM/CHS which forms small micelles when
concentrated but large objects when diluted, most micelles are much much
smaller, say 30-50Å or so.

I think there is an article by the group of Arne Moeller on detergent
micelle observation by negative stain, I don't recall if they tried in
cryo.

Best
Vincent

Le 13/04/2023 à 15:48, Kizziah, James a écrit :

> Hi all,
>
> We have imaged a cryo-EM sample presumed to contain micelles and
> observed the large, white objects full of/covered with junk shown in
> the attached images. Our best guess is that these are (or were) the
> micelles and have been destroyed by the electron beam, contact with
> the air water interface, or both, after vitrification. Has anyone seen
> something like this before or does anyone have alternative
> interpretations?
>
> Glow-discharged lacey carbon grids plunge frozen with a Mark IV
> Vitrobot, clipped and imaged on a Glacios.
>
> Thanks,
>
> James

Vincent Chaptal, PhD

Director of GdR APPICOM

Drug Resistance and Membrane Proteins Lab

MMSB -UMR5086

7 passage du Vercors

69007 LYON

FRANCE