[3dem] Interpretation of strange objects in a cryo-EM sample

David Michael Belnap David.Belnap at utah.edu
Thu Apr 13 07:05:05 PDT 2023

James,

Those images look consistent with large particles that exclude water.  I don’t know the expected sizes of micelles, however.  If the appearance changes with increased exposure to the electron beam, then I would agree that you have beam damage.  Be careful of claims of “pure” samples.  I often see much more than what is claimed to be in a pure sample.  Is what you are looking for supposed to be smaller than these particles?  As Vincent suggests, you may have constructs different from what you expect.  Your lower magnification picture suggests a diluted sample to me.

David