[3dem] Electron Microscopy position at CU-Boulder Colorado

Andreas Hoenger andreas.hoenger at colorado.edu
Mon Jun 13 15:40:08 PDT 2022

Dear Friends,

Please take note of the following job offer from the newly formed "University of Colorado Center for Cryo-Electron Tomography” in Boulder CO:

Technical Assistant (PRA) position at the Univ. of Colorado, Boulder, Center for Cryo-Electron Tomography (CCET).

The CCET is a newly formed Cryo-Electron Tomography (cryo-ET) service center within a larger NIH-funded Cryo-ET network that comprises three satellite centers, including our own, and a central hub at the Univ. of Wisconsin in Madison.  The purpose of this consortium is providing nationwide support with cryo-ET specimen preparation (mainly cellular specimens), data collection, and analysis.  Furthermore, we provide hands-on training to labs who would like to establish these technologies in their own environment.

Here in Boulder, we operate a newly purchased Aquilos-2 FIBSEM microscope to produce vitrified lamellae of cells and tissues.  We have access to a Titan-Krios, Tecnai-F30, Tecnai-F20 and a Tecnai T12 microscopes.  Our peripheral equipment includes a Leica system for correlative cryo-light electron microscopy, several vitrification tools (Vitrobot, Wohlwend Compact-2 high-pressure freezer, Cryosol VitroJet) and direct-electron detector cameras on all field-emission cryo-microscopes, and a Selectrix image filter on the Titan Krios.

To expand our service capabilities, we seek an enthusiastic cryo-electron microscopist, or a skilled cell biologist who would be motivated to be trained in cryo-EM techniques.  The minimal qualification would be a Bachelor of Science in a related field.  After an initial training period, we expect this person to independently operate the Aquilos-2 system, the transmission cryo-electron microscopes, and the relevant periphery.   A basic background in cell biology, as well as good communication skills and a supportive attitude to our trainees and staff would be a great plus.

We will offer an annual starting salary of $50K (commensurate with experience), with excellent benefits and regular working hours.  The immediate CCET team is tightly interacting with the other electron microscopy centers at CU-Boulder (EMS, BioKEM), and we maintain an open, communicative work environment.  Boulder Colorado has the pleasant and friendly atmosphere of a smaller University town and offers exciting possibilities for all year-round outdoor activities (except for big-wave surfing).  Boulder is about 45 mins away from Denver International Airport which offers great connections nationwide and even internationally.

The University of Colorado is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from URMs.

Please also check this website for mote details and how to apply:  https://jobs.colorado.edu/jobs/JobDetail/?jobId=39510 <https://jobs.colorado.edu/jobs/JobDetail/?jobId=39510>

Don’t hesitate to contact Karolin Luger, Michael Stowell or myself by email should you need more information.

Many thanks and best Wishes !!!

Andy

Prof. Andreas Hoenger,
Univ. of Colorado at Boulder, USA