[3dem] GMS3.5 shutdown experiences

Marcus FISLAGE Marcus.Fislage at vub.be
Fri Apr 8 00:49:36 PDT 2022

Dear all,

since we upgraded our Camera software from Gatan to version 3.5 (K3 camera on JEOL CryoARM300 using SerialEM 4.0.1-4) we experienced regular full shutdowns of the GMS software. I.e. no error message and the whole software package is just not running anymore. And a simple reopening of the GMS3 software works and I can continue the data collection.
I am already in contact with our Gatan engineer, but he is rather surprised about this behavior.

I would therefore like to ask the crowd if you have had or currently have a similar experience.

To the best of my knowledge, it appears that the frequency of GMS shutdown is correlated to the number of images taken. I.e. After a certain threshold of images taken with the K3 camera, the GMS software will just disappear.
I currently tested it by a daily (or every second day) restart of the GMS software and since then the error did not appear again for 2 weeks. This would initially support my theory.

Any feedback or comments would be highly appreciated.

Cheers
Marcus

Dr. Marcus Fislage

EM Manager

BECM
VIB-Center for Structural Biology
VUB (Vrije Universiteit Brussel)
Building P1T, room 0.01
Pleinlaan 2
1050 BRUSSELS

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.becm.be&d=DwIFAw&c=-35OiAkTchMrZOngvJPOeA&r=L7-zyQ-04fFCMRqzLIOnx7H0exGZHwIQe_wMPuY600I&m=2iNnMHzRQux9BYpC4iW5utB3Go1BZ_VXTTadYIPiKUcQR4QW99s-1x6otIsSFwFb&s=M08M9Q4a97pLTY5YWPna_ot7zBN4HSCGG7EvutXfx5g&e= <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.becm.be&d=DwIFAw&c=-35OiAkTchMrZOngvJPOeA&r=L7-zyQ-04fFCMRqzLIOnx7H0exGZHwIQe_wMPuY600I&m=2iNnMHzRQux9BYpC4iW5utB3Go1BZ_VXTTadYIPiKUcQR4QW99s-1x6otIsSFwFb&s=M08M9Q4a97pLTY5YWPna_ot7zBN4HSCGG7EvutXfx5g&e= >