[3dem] CryoEM postdoc positions in NHLBI, NIH

Jiansen Jiang jiangjiansen at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 12:51:09 PDT 2021

Two postdoc positions are currently available in the Laboratory of Membrane
Proteins and Structure Biology in the National Heart, Lung, and Blood
Institute (NHLBI), NIH located in Bethesda, Maryland. The positions are
fully supported by the NHLBI Division of Intramural Research for up to 5
years, with possibilities of extension and promotion to higher-level job
titles.

Our research is focused on the connections between the structures,
functions, and activity regulations of the membrane proteins that are
involved in important biological processes and/or human diseases. The
recent publications of the lab can be found at
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__scholar.google.com_citations-3Fhl-3Den-26user-3Dx8zs8D8AAAAJ-26view-5Fop-3Dlist-5Fworks-26sortby-3Dpubdate&d=DwIBaQ&c=-35OiAkTchMrZOngvJPOeA&r=L7-zyQ-04fFCMRqzLIOnx7H0exGZHwIQe_wMPuY600I&m=bVv3yZWoE2CdDqD5hYwNK9baHfX_x5DKNNcKinunZ7cq_suJdZ8OshnRblMHlNRZ&s=ZcnFoX9Hcwa4QdANcjScLFmoZmEqDfpX1vg7OG2PdGE&e= .
These two new postdoc fellows will join our current research programs and
also create new research directions. Their projects will be focused in two
related directions.

Position 1: high-resolution cryoEM structure determination and functional
characterization of solute carrier (SLC) proteins.

Position 2: structural studies of transporters in the native membrane using
single particle cryoEM and cryoET; method development of cryoEM data
collection and processing.

Candidates with a PhD degree in a related field (biomedical sciences,
physics, chemistry, computer science, etc) are encouraged to apply.
Experiences in structural biology or computer programming are favored but
not required. Our lab and the NIH structural biology community will provide
the most rigorous training on cryoEM and the other skills.

Eligible candidates are also encouraged to apply for the Marshall W.
Nirenberg Fellowship that provides additional career development
opportunities.
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.nhlbi.nih.gov_grants-2Dand-2Dtraining_training-2Dand-2Dcareer-2Ddevelopment_postdoctoral_nirenberg-2Dfellowship&d=DwIBaQ&c=-35OiAkTchMrZOngvJPOeA&r=L7-zyQ-04fFCMRqzLIOnx7H0exGZHwIQe_wMPuY600I&m=bVv3yZWoE2CdDqD5hYwNK9baHfX_x5DKNNcKinunZ7cq_suJdZ8OshnRblMHlNRZ&s=8F2WFeYDlP0xGz6q1FCiMR8WbIXcincBE0-Oa8WcZ7o&e=

We are in the rapidly growing NIH cryoEM community and have ample access to
the high-end cryoEM instruments hosted in the NIH Multi-Institute Cryo-EM
Facility (MICEF), including a Titan Krios equipped with GIF and K3, Krios
G4 (coming soon), Glacios equipped with Falcon 4, Tecnai F20 equipped with
K2, Tecnai 12. The MICEF has recently expanded its capacity on cryoET and
installed new equipment, including Aquilos Cryo-FIB, Leica Cryo CLEM. To
meet different needs for cryo grid preparation, we have access to different
cryo plungers, including Vitrobot Mark IV, Leica EM GP, and a newly
installed Chameleon. The NHLBI core facilities equipped with
state-of-the-art technologies (
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.nhlbi.nih.gov_about_divisions_division-2Dintramural-2Dresearch_dir-2Dcore-2Dfacilities&d=DwIBaQ&c=-35OiAkTchMrZOngvJPOeA&r=L7-zyQ-04fFCMRqzLIOnx7H0exGZHwIQe_wMPuY600I&m=bVv3yZWoE2CdDqD5hYwNK9baHfX_x5DKNNcKinunZ7cq_suJdZ8OshnRblMHlNRZ&s=hRHd8GEnvJcjGnalRbYMuf0zXeMJdXTLhvZSUe1_334&e= )
provide wonderful supports for our research needs. We have access to a cell
culture facility that grows bacteria, yeasts, and suspension mammalian
cells in large scales to produce membrane proteins. Last, we have an
in-house GPU computer cluster as well as access to the NIH Biowulf super
computers for cryoEM data processing and new data processing method
development.

Interested candidates please contact Jiansen Jiang at jiansen.jiang at nih.gov
with a CV and names of three referees.

-----

Jiansen Jiang, Ph.D.

Investigator

Biochemistry and Biophysics Center

National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute

National Institutes of Health

50 South Drive

Building 50 Room 2152

Bethesda, MD 20892-8012

Tel: 301-827-1698

Email: jiansen.jiang at nih.gov

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.nhlbi.nih.gov_science_laboratory-2Dmembrane-2Dproteins-2Dand-2Dstructural-2Dbiology&d=DwIBaQ&c=-35OiAkTchMrZOngvJPOeA&r=L7-zyQ-04fFCMRqzLIOnx7H0exGZHwIQe_wMPuY600I&m=bVv3yZWoE2CdDqD5hYwNK9baHfX_x5DKNNcKinunZ7cq_suJdZ8OshnRblMHlNRZ&s=hJug1VE86WXr2Ju0p0wkoNOM5GLKuNyhLuM3dJ6Xi8w&e=