[3dem] Cryo ET/cryo CLEM positions available at Purdue

Metskas, Lauren A. (Lauren Ann) lmetskas at caltech.edu
Wed Nov 3 04:55:20 PDT 2021

Hello,

The Metskas lab at Purdue University is hiring!  We use a combination of fluorescence spectroscopy, cryo electron tomography, and cryo CLEM to study complex ultrastructures in viruses and bacteria related to human illness.  We have positions available for a lab manager/technician and a postdoctoral fellow.

Postdoctoral fellow: The postdoc will initially focus on membrane fusion studies, and may also be involved in methods development in cryo CLEM.  PhD in biophysics or a related field.  Relevant skills: advanced fluorescence spectroscopy or microscopy, intermediate-level scripting, cryo electron microscopy/tomography, FIB milling, single-particle fusion assays, virology, and/or computational simulations.  Prior experience in cryo EM/ET is helpful but not required.  Please email me directly for more information.

Technician: This position is a combination of lab manager and research technician.  Looking for someone with a degree in life sciences, at least 1 year of laboratory experience in basic molecular biology, strong organizational skills and a good team member.  Additional skills relevant to our lab, such as eukaryotic cell culture, EM, etc. are very welcome.  Salary scales with relevant experience; US work authorization not sponsored for this position.  Please apply here: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__career8.successfactors.com_sfcareer_jobreqcareer-3FjobId-3D16450-26company-3Dpurdueuniv&d=DwIGaQ&c=-35OiAkTchMrZOngvJPOeA&r=L7-zyQ-04fFCMRqzLIOnx7H0exGZHwIQe_wMPuY600I&m=IH--4Uh2muCpcjERJvK7WO3_Lg4pSpC7LKsvoZxPHI21gL4uvITKSlHHFsTJ8IkY&s=T1fNK7uY0jRBg9LyUcJXVEdFMVcLP7Ckkw7mRM4wai0&e=

Purdue University is a large, highly-ranked public university located in West Lafayette, IN, USA.  The university’s research resources are extensive, and include a full cryo-EM instrumentation suite with BSL 2 capabilities, shared spectroscopy facilities, high performance computing clusters, and engineering/machining support (machine shop, glassblowers, etc.).  Cost of living near the university is low, and both Chicago and Indianapolis are within driving distance.

Come join us!  Thank you,

Lauren Ann Metskas
Assistant Professor, Purdue University
Department of Biological Sciences
Joint Appointment in Department of Chemistry

metskas at purdue.edu<mailto:metskas at purdue.edu>
@LAMetskas