[3dem] Online CryoEM Study Group - poll for spring/summer topics

Geoffrey Woollard geoff.woollard at mail.utoronto.ca
Thu Mar 18 13:33:10 PDT 2021

Since November I've run a weekly online cryoEM study group. This is a
labour of love. The goal is to fill a need that is not being met elsewhere
by the many cryoEM workshops, conferences, and polished talks. We've done
flipped classrooms and journal clubs. We have some guest lectures coming up
on direct Fourier inversion and variational autoencoders (cryoDRGN).

I know that there are plenty of experienced structural biologists who would
like to go deeper into the math and theory. In order to give this audience
a nudge to come out we will
1. Use "Getting Started in Cryo-EM with Professor Grant Jensen" (go through
a bit each week)
2. Have "office hours", where you can ask open questions like "what does
that plot mean", "what parameters should I use", "what is that algorithm
doing in the background".

I've also created a poll for what topics/format you'd like to do this
spring/summer.
- Becoming a data processing power user (parameters, underlying math,
understanding all the graphs, how to understand underlying papers)
- Electron optics: textbooks like Reimer, Spencer, etc
- Literature review: sharing bibliographies, favourite papers, speed-slide
presentation with one slide per paper, cryoEM twitter
- Office hours: ask a cryoEM expert, get advice on your own data, share
screen, private discussion in breakout rooms

Please fill out this poll: https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://forms.gle/Uh5xUeR1kBdvJqPr9__;!!Mih3wA!Sv0w4GxqHpNSaaW6gxl05MKfpMeeoWsp5flAFbKnvf4OpZsNCBw13Cql9RPZrHsVBA$

You can read more about past and future meetings, pre-requisites,
dates/times here:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://github.com/geoffwoollard/learn_cryoem_math/blob/master/cryoem-group-study-meeting/meeting.pdf__;!!Mih3wA!Sv0w4GxqHpNSaaW6gxl05MKfpMeeoWsp5flAFbKnvf4OpZsNCBw13Cql9RMvx04KPw$

Geoff

--
Geoffrey Woollard, MSc
PhD student