[3dem] Symmetry Matrix Differences Between Cryo-EM Software

Mike Strauss mike.strauss at mcgill.ca
Thu Feb 4 05:29:27 PST 2021

Hi Justas,

just to add to what Matthias said: the different conventions have different historical backgrounds.  My default in Relion - I1, puts the 2-fold axes centered on the faces of the cube, and the 5-fold closest to the z-axis on the x=0 plane (assuming the origin is in the center). I like it because many of the virus structures in my field adopt this convention.  I2 puts this 5-fold on the y-0 plane.  I think these two were used because symmetrisation was easier for memory-limited calculations in the early days - just reorder the pixels and add, no interpolation necessary for the 2-folds.

Another convention uses the 5-fold axis pointing along the z-axis, which follows the convention of the highest symmetry along this axis (like D7 symmetry).

To be clear - they all produce the same structure - just rotated versions of one another - and they are all “correct” conventions, albeit not necessarily common.  If you’re getting crazy structures, it may be because the convention of your reference doesn’t match the convention of your output.

Regards,
mike

--------
Prof. Mike Strauss