[3dem] Symmetry Matrix Differences Between Cryo-EM Software

Morgan, David Gene dagmorga at indiana.edu
Thu Feb 4 11:41:01 PST 2021

Hi,

    Just to add a bit of historical information, for anyone who cares.  The first icosahedral virus structures were solved using Fourier Bessel methods (https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.jstor.org/stable/2417109?seq=1*metadata_info_tab_contents__;Iw!!Mih3wA!SS7Oh5yTP6zsOJ4J0OuAu2OdNgmq1DfYkZJg5Xg4bhbr7mDtvZDJtjuCW6JVB7xpag$ ).

    In order to use those methods, the reconstructed object needed to be oriented in a particular orientation:  the 5-fold symmetry axis needed to be along the Cartesian Z-axis and the 2-fold needed to be along the Y-axis (at least I think I remember that it needed to be along Y;  it's possible that it needed to be along X).  The important thing is that by orienting this 2-fold symmetry axis along a particular Cartesian axis, the real and imaginary parts of the Fourier Bessel terms separated into independent equations, which were far easier to solve.  This story is even a bit more complicated than I am describing, but I'll end this bit of history here.

    For non-Fourier Bessel reconstruction methods, this particular orientation of the 5- and 2-fold axes along particular Cartesian axes didn't matter, and the X-ray community adopted another orientation for icosahedral objects where there were 2-fold axes along the Cartesian X, Y and Z axes.  I have never talked with an X-ray person about this, but I have always assumed that since crystals can't exhibit 5-fold symmetry, they didn't want their "standard icosahedral orientation" to assign anything special to the orientation of the 5-fold axis.

    This EM/X-ray difference is also related to and highlights that icosahedral symmetry (point group symmetry 532) includes but is higher symmetry than point group 222.  The X-ray orientation of an icosahedral object puts it into an orientation where the 222 symmetry is easy to enforce, and the 5- and 3-fold symmetry "falls out" (and can be enforced using non-crystallographic symmetry).

    When new EM reconstruction methods became available, additional and different orientations were used by different software suites and so there needed to be ways to convert from one orientation to the other.  In those early days, it was more critical to know what orientation your data had (i.e., which icosahedral convention your data had), and what orientation you wanted to go to (and I think people understood some of these details better).

    And just to end being a bit pedantic, remember that a symmetric object is defined by the presence and orientation of internal symmetry axes relative to each other, but that the symmetric object itself can adopt any Cartesian orientation.  That's why single particle EM works so well with symmetric objects :-) and also why different software can produce "identical" reconstructions that are not in the same orientation.

--
    politics is more difficult than physics.
                                             A. Einstein

            David Gene Morgan
        Electron Microscopy Center
             047E Simon Hall