[3dem] Symmetry Matrix Differences Between Cryo-EM Software

Matthias Wolf matthias.wolf at oist.jp
Wed Feb 3 22:17:22 PST 2021

Hi Justas,

As far as I know, there is no absolute convention - the two possible icososahedral symmetries are called "I" and "I2".
One of them describes an icosahedron where you can "walk" between 5-fold axes thru 3- and 2- fold (5-3-2-5), the other thru 2- then 3-fold (5-2-3-5). Which is referred to as "I" and which as "I2" is, in principle, irrelevant. The two icosahedra are different structures, they are not mirrors of one hand.

So just use one of the two option that works in cryosparc. I guess it would be I2...

Best,
   Matthias