[3dem] Postdoctoral Researcher for cryo-EM studies of large protein complexes involved in cellular immunity

Brondijk, T.H.C. (Harma) t.h.c.brondijk at uu.nl
Tue Aug 31 05:31:32 PDT 2021

Dear All

I would like to draw your attention to a vacancy for a postdoctoral researcher in the lab of Piet Gros at Utrecht University, The Netherlands. To read the full text of the vacancy and to apply please follow this link<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.uu.nl_en_organisation_working-2Dat-2Dutrecht-2Duniversity_jobs_postdoctoral-2Dresearcher-2Dfor-2Dcryo-2Dem-2Dstudies-2Dof-2Dlarge-2Dprotein-2Dcomplexes-2Dinvolved-2Din-2Dcellular-2Dimmunity&d=DwIFAg&c=-35OiAkTchMrZOngvJPOeA&r=L7-zyQ-04fFCMRqzLIOnx7H0exGZHwIQe_wMPuY600I&m=-26UckAPvUpXiVSILj--EB5MBH8K8u8KybZ1oZ5SsoI&s=6WQsRkxtBSlLoI9alM90Uj0upcjqoxry5desM1d7EX4&e= > to the Utrecht University vacancy pages. Applications can be made until September 19th.

Postdoctoral Researcher for cryo-EM studies of large protein complexes involved in cellular immunity.

The Structural Biochemistry group of Professor Piet Gros has a long-standing track record at the frontiers of structural biology focusing on elucidating the molecular mechanisms that underlie biological processes with a major emphasis on human plasma-proteins and cell-surface receptors. The lab has an internationally strong reputation in uncovering the molecular mechanisms that underpin the complement system. We combine protein crystallography, cryo-electron microscopy, light microscopy, biochemical and biophysical assays to get a detailed picture of the molecular interactions that enable the complement system to discriminate between healthy self-cells and pathogens or dying/malignant cells.
We currently offer the opportunity for a postdoctoral Researcher to join forces with us on an ERC funded project that investigates the correlation between levels of organisation within the membrane and complement efficacy. Most of the interactions we are looking into for this project are in the high nM to mM range and involve large flexible multi-domain proteins. So, the challenge for you will be to find conditions/tricks that capture the complex of interest in a state that enables detailed structural analyses.
Prinicipal tasks and responsibilities:

  *   deliver high quality protein samples for structural analyses;
  *   collect and analyse cryo-EM data;
  *   structure determination, atomic model building and validation;
  *   function as a go-to for PhDs and Postdocs in the group for expert advice on all aspects of cryo-EM sample preparation, data collection and analyses;
  *   communicate you research findings within the group and to the larger scientific community.
Profile
We seek a highly motivated individual with the ability to run their project independently, but who also likes to collaborate with and advice other members of our team.
Required knowledge/skills/abilities:

  *   a PhD in structural biology or a closely related field;
  *   proven experience in cryo-EM;
  *   purification and analysis of protein complexes;
  *   excellent oral and written skills in English.

Optional skills/abilities that are considered an advantage:

  *   protein crystallography;
  *   Cryo-ET;
  *   molecular biology;
  *   handling of membrane proteins.

Harma Brondijk

Dr. T.H.C. Brondijk | Research Coordinator | Structural Biochemistry | Faculty of Science | Utrecht University | David de Wied building, Room 2.35 | Universiteitsweg 99, 3584 CG Utrecht | | t.h.c.brondijk at uu.nl<mailto:t.h.c.brondijk at uu.nl> | Aanwezig: ma-vrij