[3dem] update on an earlier issue

Morgan, David Gene dagmorga at indiana.edu
Fri Oct 16 10:25:01 PDT 2020

Hi,

    At the end of September, I posted a question about remote access into ThermoFisher microscopes like the Artica and Krios.  We had upgraded our support PC's to Windows 10 on two different systems and the ability to access the microscope remotely was unstable.  We would have access for a few minutes or a few hours after restarting the ultraVNC server on the microscope PC, but that access would never last overnight and would only be restored after a server restart.  It did not matter whether we connected to the support PC and then started a VNC session from there to the microscope or if we simply tunneled through the forwarded port directly to the microscope PC.

    With a lot of help from ThermoFisher engineer Micky Woods, we think we have resolved this problem.  We don't know why the upgrade to Windows 10 unveiled the problem, and we don't really know what the actual problem was, but the ultraVNC server running on our microscope PC's (two different machines) would go into some sort of weird state and refuse to accept new connections.  Stopping and restarting the server "fixed" the problem for some (short) amount of time.

    After much trial-and-error and trouble-shooting,  we switched from ultraVNC to tightVNC on both the support and microscope PC's.  At least at this moment, this simple change seems to have made both systems much more stable.  If it turns out that we encounter further problems, I will send another update.

--
    politics is more difficult than physics.
                                             A. Einstein

            David Gene Morgan
        Electron Microscopy Center
             047E Simon Hall