[3dem] Membrane protein structure: orientation issue

Saumya Verma Bajaj saumyaverma11 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 22:48:48 PDT 2020

Dear all,

I am trying to solve the structure of a tetrameric membrane protein
complex, with the protein embedded in detergent micelle (0.05% GDN) and a
soluble accessory protein attached to it.

Following 2D classification, while the side views and oblique views are
easily visible, and the top/bottom are very few (~1-2%) (please see
attached image) and get further diminished in subsequent rounds of 2D
classification.

While we are trying different grid types to overcome the orientation
problem at the sample level, I was wondering if there are certain tweaks we
can make to the analysis parameters (particle picking, box size, mask, ctf
etc.) to enhance the signal of protein embedded within a micelle in the
current data set. We are using Relion3.1 for SPA.

Any suggestions to salvage this set of data will be very helpful.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Saumya