[3dem] Postdoctoral Position at UTMB – Structural studies of protein synthesis (X-ray & cryo-EM)

Gagnon, Matthieu magagnon at UTMB.EDU
Sat Jul 18 14:44:48 PDT 2020

Dear colleagues,

We have a Postdoctoral position opening in my laboratory at The University of Texas Medical Branch (UTMB) at Galveston. The Gagnon lab uses X-ray crystallography and single-particle cryo-EM to study the molecular mechanisms underlying protein synthesis. The ribosome is the focus of our studies. Most of antibiotics used in the clinic inhibit translation, and with the rapid rise of antibiotic-resistant pathogens, one of our goals is to decipher the structural bases of drug resistance to ribosome-targeting antibiotics. We are looking for a highly motivated candidate with excellent communication skills. The applicants should have a Ph.D. in biochemistry, chemistry, molecular biology, biophysics, or any other related field. Salary is commensurate with experience and pegged to the current NIH scale.

UTMB has outstanding structural biology facilities. The cryo-EM core now features the latest Titan Krios EM equipped with two direct detector cameras, K3 (Gatan) and Falcon 3 (ThermoFisher). The crystallography core has two X-ray generators for in-house data collection, two temperature-controlled crystallization rooms, and a dedicated Oxford liquid nitrogen cryo-stream to handle ribosome crystals. The Gagnon lab has a dedicated access to storage and GPU computer servers with softwares used in cryo-EM and x-ray crystallography.

Attached is the full description of this position with more information. To apply, please send your CV, cover letter, and contact information for three references directly to Dr. Matthieu Gagnon. In the cover letter, the applicant should describe how his/her previous research accomplishments and scientific interests fit with the scope of research in the Gagnon laboratory. Further information may be found at the group's web site at https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://microbiology.utmb.edu/faculty/matthieu-gagnon__;!!Mih3wA!VTBuhDY0HJSmVZa75tVJpxsqPz9EaSN-X07UuDfGyCZSeMBx_K1ybyOPrGO8TsRvuQ$ . Review of applications begins immediately.

Matthieu G. Gagnon, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
University of Texas Medical Branch