[3dem] negative stain and cryo-EM contractor position at Biogen

Claire Metrick claire.metrick at biogen.com
Mon Jul 20 09:05:30 PDT 2020

Hi all,

We're looking for a contractor to further establish and help support our negative stain and cryo-EM efforts at Biogen in Cambridge, MA! Please see the description below. Interested parties can send questions and/or CVs to me.

Thanks!
Claire

----------
Job description: Negative stain EM and CryoEM scientist

Position Description: We are looking for a highly motivated Scientist to join our Small Molecule Physical Biochemistry group within the department of Biotherapeutic and Medicinal Sciences at Biogen. This is a contract position for 12 months starting in August 2020. The successful candidate will be part of a fast-paced and innovative community actively pursuing unmet medical needs in the neuroscience space. The primary responsibility of the candidate will be to prepare negative-stain EM samples, collect EM data and, when required, train new users. Experience in cryo-EM is a plus. The candidate will also assist in preparing cryo-EM grids (freezing samples, clipping and maintain grids) along with assisting in data collection. The ideal candidate should be detail-oriented, organized and demonstrate good lab practices.

The successful candidate will:
Provide support for negative-stain EM:
1) Work with different groups at Biogen to prepare negatively stained samples and collect EM data.
2) Train new users negative-stain EM grid preparation and data collection.

Provide support for sample preparation and data collection with a Glacios cryo-electron microscope.
1) Prepare samples (freezing and clipping grids), help develop a system to track and maintain frozen and clipped grids for data collection.
2) Share responsibility with Biogen scientists for maintaining the Glacios cryo-electron microscope (beam alignment, calibration, cryo-cycling, etc).
3) Help Biogen scientists to troubleshoot and solve technical problems.

Qualifications: M.S. or PhD in Biophysics, Protein Biochemistry or related discipline. Relevant experience in a negative stain EM or cryo-EM lab is required. Must be a great team player with strong communication skills.

Claire Marie Metrick, Ph.D.
Scientist I, Physical Biochemistry
Biogen | 225 Binney Street | Cambridge, MA | 02142
Email: claire.metrick at biogen.com<mailto:claire.metrick at biogen.com> | Direct: 617.679.6444
https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.biogen.com__;!!Mih3wA!QW-m1ghr_Moz9DtOejxjZTwL7iREC6w1RmPDcTwNEvxyWBMmH5SHN1epXVf6GdyAxQ$ <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.biogen.com/__;!!Mih3wA!QW-m1ghr_Moz9DtOejxjZTwL7iREC6w1RmPDcTwNEvxyWBMmH5SHN1epXVd7tEswYA$ >

[cid:image001.png at 01D65E8E.0F7E49F0]