[3dem] commercial use of RELION

Sjors Scheres scheres at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Mon Jul 6 11:49:10 PDT 2020

Dear EM-ers,

I was asked about this today, so I just thought I'd confirm the below
explicitly. Please note that I'm not a lawyer, so none of this message
should be taken as legal advice.

RELION is also free for commercial use.

For now, there is one caveat because of a patent held by Structura
Biotechnology, the company that makes cryoSPARC. In the hope that it is
useful for US-based commercial users, I copy a previous message to the
CCP-EM mailing list with more details below.

Best wishes,
Sjors

--

Dear RELION users,

We are not lawyers, so none of this message should be taken as legal advice.

We have changed the terms of the GPLv2 license under which RELION is
distributed. Please find the modified part (in section 8) below.
Academic users or commercial users outside the USA are not affected by
this change, but if you wish to use RELION in the USA with the SAGD
method in conjunction with a modulation by a contrast transfer function
of the particle images for ab-initio single-particle reconstruction,
non-profit academic research uses are freely licensed under the terms of
the license agreement available at https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://cryosparc.com/patent-faqs__;!!Mih3wA!SaAVg-T2aKXTkxiqxuavPMEdCFVekCCRWmQQN2F6VGz2TdQezeWWGtZTiqGKmwuHFw$ .
Alternatively, commercial users in the USA may want to consider
downloading the latest version from github and rebuilding RELION with
the cmake option -DALLOW_CTF_IN_SAGD=OFF, which disables the SAGD method
in conjunction with a modulation by a contrast transfer function of the
particle images for ab-initio single-particle reconstruction.

Please note that we do not take lightly the disabling of useful
functionality from RELION. Because we consider that RELION was built
upon foundations that were laid by many in the field before us, we feel
strongly that it should remain free to use and further built upon by
anyone in the field, regardless of their location and whether they are
involved in commercial activities or not. We believe that the field's
rapid growth has benefited from its traditions of sharing and openness,
and hope this will remain the case as the field continues to expand and
new players continue to join.

Best regards,

Sjors, Erik, Takanori, Jasenko & Dari

--

New text to section 8 of the GPLv2:

This version of RELION uses a stochastic average gradient descent (SAGD)
method in conjunction with a modulation by a contrast transfer function
of the particle images for ab-initio single-particle reconstruction.

Should you wish to use RELION with the SAGD method in conjunction with a
modulation by a contrast transfer function of the particle images for
ab-initio single-particle reconstruction, please note that this
functionality may be covered in the USA by US Patent No. 10,282,513.
Non-profit academic research uses of the patented IP are freely licensed
under the terms of the license agreement available
athttps://cryosparc.com/patent-faqs.

Should you wish to use RELION without modulation by a contrast transfer
function of the particle images in the SAGD method for ab-initio
single-particle reconstruction, you may disable this functionality using
-DALLOW_CTF_IN_SAGD=OFF at the stage of configuration, i.e. before
compilation of the code.

--
Sjors Scheres
MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology