[3dem] Scientist Cryo-EM at Brookhaven National Laboratory

Liguo Wang wanguw11 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 07:17:22 PST 2020

Hello Everyone,

The Laboratory for BioMolecular Structure (LBMS) at Brookhaven National
Laboratory (BNL) is looking for a cryo-EM scientist.  A job description
is pasted below and the application can be submitted at
https://jobs.bnl.gov/job/upton/scientist-cryo-em/3437/14894834. Please
feel free to forward this information to anyone who might be interested.

Thank you for the help.

Liguo

=================

Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution
funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science.
Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings
world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important
questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to
the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge
large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology,
medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies.
The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff
are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around
the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes,
stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the
nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is
operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded
by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on
behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied
science and technology organization.

Organizational Overview

The Laboratory of Biomolecular Structure (LBMS) is a state-of-the-art
center for life-science imaging, just coming into operation at
Brookhaven National Laboratory. LBMS provides support on single-particle
and tomographic cryogenic Transmission Electron Microscopy (TEM) studies
(https://www.bnl.gov/cryo-em/). The mission of LBMS is to accelerate
dramatically our understanding of processes underlying Biology. The LBMS
benefits from a location close to the world-leading X-ray-imaging and
structural biology user facilities at National Synchrotron Light Source
II (NSLS‑II).

Position Description

*Essential duties:*

  * Operate our new cryo-TEMs and ancillary equipment; help develop user
    programs; communicate with scientific and industrial user communities.
  * Work closely with users; define optimal experimental design on
    sample preparation and automated data collection.
  * Provide guidance and service in data management and analysis.

  Specifically, these scientists will work with the Group Leader to
operate the cryo-TEMs and ancillary equipment, perform routine
maintenance and quality checks to ensure optimal operation and keep
records for user projects and interactions.

  Selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate position level
dependent upon depth and breadth of relevant knowledge and skills, as
well as years of relevant experience.

Position Requirements

Requirements:

  * PhD in structural biology or a related field, and at least 3 years
    of related experience.
  * At least one year of expertise in operating cryo-EM instruments such
    as Titan Krios, Glacios, Talos L120C, Tecnai TF20.
  * Experience in high-resolution cryo-EM single particle data
    collection using Leginon or SerialEM, and image processing using
    Relion, cisTEM, CryoSPARC or EMAN2
  * Experience in cryo-electron tomography data collection using
    SerialEM or UCSF tomography, and image processing using IMOD, UCSF
    tomo, or Protomo
  * Cryogenic preparation of biological samples for single-particle or
    tomography work.
  * Use of cryo-FIB or cryo-microtome to prepare and image cryogenic
    samples.
  * Experience in negative staining sample preparation and screening.
  * Ability to communicate effectively and diplomatically.
  * Strong organizational skills and methodical record-keeping.

Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (One or more of the following):

  * Experience in model building using available software such as Phenix
    and MDFF
  * Experience in model refinement, model evaluation and data deposition
  * Experience in scripting or programming for automation.
  * Experience with fluorescence light microscopy.

Brookhaven National Laboratory and the Energy and Photon Sciences
Directorate are committed to your success. We offer a supportive work
environment and the resources necessary for you to succeed.

We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment.
To be considered for this position, please apply online atBNL Careers
<https://jobs.bnl.gov/>and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.

Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer
committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive
consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on
the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender
identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any
other federal, state or local protected class.

BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in
employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans,
and individuals with disabilities.