[3dem] EM support scientist position (CSSB, DESY, Hamburg)

Carolin Seuring carolin.seuring at cssb-hamburg.de
Fri Jan 24 05:56:38 PST 2020

Hi microscopists,
Hello everyone,

The CryoEM facility at CSSB in Hamburg is growing (https://www.cssb-hamburg.de/facilities/cryo_em/index_eng.html).

We are currently looking for an EM support scientist to complement our Team.
A job description is pasted below - however, we are totally aware, that everyone contributes her/his own expertise, and that this may change some of the responsibilities described.

If you are interested in the job and would like to know more about it, please contact me directly.
If you know a potentially interested colleague - it would be great, if you could spread the voice and share this job offer with her/him!
For any other remaining questions, please drop me an e-mail.

Thank you for sharing!
- Carolin

Electron Microscopy Support (m/f/D) - Salary Level 13 TV-L -
The position commences as soon as possible and is permanent. This position is also suitable for part time employment.

The Centre for Structural Systems Biology (CSSB) was created with the mission to use cutting edge technologies and methods to investigate how pathogens infect humans. Part of this mis- sion are the CSSB Core Facilities that provide access to technology and research services for bio- sciences. Alongside these facilities, the multi-user facility for electron cryo-microscopy (cryoEM) has started its operation in 2017, and is positioned on the Science Campus Bahrenfeld, being also home to the Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron DESY. Our facility is currently the most ad- vanced centre for cryoEM in the north of Germany housing five electron microscopes: two Titan Krios instruments equipped with phase plates, energy filters, K3 and Falcon 3 direct detectors, a Talos Arctica with a phase plate and a Falcon 3 direct detector, a Talos L120C and an Aquilos FIB cryo-SEM for preparing lamellae of thick samples, such as vitrified cells or crystals. Auxiliary equipment and nearby lab space for sample preparation and cell culture work complete the workflows. We primarily focus on single particle analysis and electron cryo-tomography. The facility is set up to handle biological samples up to German biosafety level 2.

Nature of the job

85% equipment set-up and operation, equipment maintenance, 15% user-training & assistance:
responsible for the day-to-day running and maintenance of the electron microscopes and associated sample preparation equipment
manage and operate the cryoEM instruments and associated equipment, this includes first-fault diagnosis, and maintenance work
assist in improving set-ups for the different cryoEM modalities (SPA, Tomo) and the implementation of additional workflows (correlative microscopy, microED)
work with our computing scientist to ensure a seamless interface between data collection and data processing
establish and implement schedules for microscope hardware and software maintenance, and support alignments and performance checks, to ensure that the facility is operating at peak performance
coordinate repairs with microscope supplier’s service engineers
 work with in house engineers and other facilities
provide instructions, assistance and consultation to faculty, students, staff members regarding the TEM equipment and optimal processes
perform other related duties incidental to the work described above
Your Profile
experience in CryoEM (hardware and/or software), X-ray technology, imaging detectors, or computational work at the interface hardware/software
experience in cryoEM & understanding the basics of electron optics and vacuum systems
previous experience in microscope control and acquisition software packages for single particle analysis or tomography or one of the following programming interfaces/languages: Py-
thon, C++, Java, LabView, SerialEM
good English language skills (both written and oral)
experience with managing, analyzing, and improving complex workflows
demonstrated record keeping and organization skills
ability to proactively plan maintenance work and increase microscope uptime & performance
attention to detail
a desire to learn, and a willingness to share knowledge
self-driven and organized
Your responsibilities within the team can be adjusted to best fit your specific skill-set.

For more information please visit: https://www.uni-hamburg.de/uhh/stellenangebote/technisches-bibliotheks-und-verwaltungspersonal/technik-und-service-und-sonstiges/17-02-20-tvp-602-1-en.pdf <https://www.uni-hamburg.de/uhh/stellenangebote/technisches-bibliotheks-und-verwaltungspersonal/technik-und-service-und-sonstiges/17-02-20-tvp-602-1-en.pdf>