[3dem] Apply now for the 3DEM Gordon Research Seminar 2020

Cameron Varano cburk05 at vt.edu
Fri Jan 24 07:14:54 PST 2020

Dear Colleagues,

We would like to remind you that applications are open now for this year’s
3DEM Gordon Research Seminar, which will be held at Rey Don Jaime Grand
Hotel in Castelldefels, Spain during the weekend of June 20-21, 2020.

We will begin selecting speakers, discussion leaders and attendees from 8
February, and we will give equal consideration to all applications
submitted before that date.

The GRS provides a great opportunity for junior scientists to meet, present
and discuss cutting-edge developments in 3DEM in a vibrant, friendly and
inclusive atmosphere. This is your chance to build your network and make
connections with the next generation of leading cryo-EM group leaders! Last
year’s inaugural 3DEM GRS was a great success and we aim to build on that
with an even better meeting this year.

We are very pleased to announce that our program on the theme of
“Visualizing Biological Complexity Across Scales” will begin with a keynote
presentation by Dr. Wanda Kukulski from the MRC-LMB. The rest of the
program will be filled by outstanding speakers and discussion leaders
selected from submitted abstracts. We encourage junior researchers working
in 3DEM to participate in the GRS by submitting an abstract on your
research, and we ask more senior scientists to please bring this
opportunity to the attention of your grad students and postdocs. As with
the GRC, all presentations are protected by the off-the-record policy,
making this an excellent opportunity to share and get expert feedback on
research in progress.

You can find more information and apply to the 3DEM GRS at the following
link:
https://www.grc.org/three-dimensional-electron-microscopy-grs-conference/2020/

The GRS is held in conjunction with the 3DEM GRC. Applicants for the GRS
are strongly encouraged to apply for the GRC as well. Please note that you
must apply for BOTH meetings if you would like to attend both the GRS and
GRC, and acceptance to one does not guarantee acceptance to the other. Also
note that selection as a speaker or discussion leader for the GRS will have
no influence on the choice of posters for selected poster talks at the GRC.

Finally, in case you need any more encouragement to apply, we would like to
end with a testimonial from Alex Noble (NYSBC) who attended last year’s
meeting:

“The 2019 3DEM GRS was like an extended GRC! The content and quality of the
talks blended well into the following conference and allowed for those new
in the field to settle in, find new friends, and become comfortable with
the interactive GRS/GRC format. I definitely recommend early career
scientists attend.”

We look forward to seeing many of you at the GRS!

Cameron Varano and Colin Palmer, Co-Chairs