[3dem] Ethane Condensation Dewar

John Rubinstein john.rubinstein at utoronto.ca
Tue Jan 21 19:30:44 PST 2020

Hi Joshua,

For both our modified Mark III Vitrobot and our high-speed ultrasonic grid freezing device (https://journals.iucr.org/d/issues/2019/12/00/ih5001/) we use an aluminum cryogen container within an insulating container.
In order to avoid ethane freezing near liquid nitrogen temperature we mix it with propane (from propane torch cylinders) according to Bill Tivol’s method (https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/microscopy-and-microanalysis/article/an-improved-cryogen-for-plunge-freezing/C791DB9759F82173E83309E1F8935101)

The aluminum part for our ultrasonic device was designed to fit into the small styrofoam boxes used by AbCam.
The design files are here (let me know if you need a different format):
https://github.com/johnrubinstein/SIOcontrol/tree/master/CAD_files
The part can be made by CNC milling, which is available as a web service from several companies (or you may be able to do it in your machine shop).

Best,
John

—
John Rubinstein