[3dem] Insertion of Holder 626

Dokland, Terje dokland at uab.edu
Mon Feb 24 09:28:17 PST 2020

We have also had persistent vacuum break problems with our 626 holder in our Tecnai F20 over the past two years. About 50% of the time inserting the holder breaks the vacuum. I though it was unique to this holder, but with the Elsa holder that we recently acquired it is even worse: vacuum break about 90% if the time. We’ve changed O rings, had the airlock disassembled and cleaned, but the problem persists.

That being said, it never affected ice quality, and the temperature usually doesn’t go above -165 C. When the vacuum recovers it’s usually at 25-30 log or so and back to <10 within a half hour. It’s really annoying though.

In my experience as long as the temperature doesn’t rise above -150C you should be ok.

It helps to make sure the tip is very cold by submerging it completely in lN2 before inserting.

Terje

Sent from my iPhone